Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Badlands; CJ Box

Badlands; CJ Box
Macmillan Audio - 2016
(Book #2 in the Cassie Dewell series)

Grimstad, North Dakota is a booming oil town and because of that a town where everyone once knew their neighbors has seen an influx of newcomers, both good and bad elements.

The story begins with Kyle Westergaard, a 12 year-old boy with limitations due to fetal alcohol syndrome.  Kyle's mother and her current partner do not provide much more than a roof over the boys head and for extra money Kyle has a newspaper route.  One day while Kyle is making his deliveries he sees an accident and finds a duffle bag on the side of the road. The bag is heavy but he manages to carry the bag home on his bike. The bag contains a large sum of money and drugs worth millions.

It was great fun listening to this story unfold  with many edge of your seat moments as unsavory individuals pop in and out of the story. Cassie Dewell, Chief Investigator and Sherrif John Kirkbride are quickly involved in a high stakes case between a ruthless Salvadorian MS-13s gang, a biker gang and crooked cops. This was one of those audio book experiences that made our recent road trip great fun.  January Savoy did a great job with both the female and male voices. 

Although it's not necessary to read book #1 of the series, Highway, first, that one was a fun listen as well even though, I enjoyed this offering more.

4.5/5 stars
(library audio book)

10 comments:

  1. I haven't read this author, but the book sounds good so I may see if my library has it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, that sounds like a nice, tense book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds good and like a book that'd keep me up at night! C.J. Box is an author I've really been wanting to read and this is a good reminder that I need to make that happen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked Cassie from The Highway and will listen to this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband has read C J Box. If you like him you might want to check out Craig Johnson. Husband likes him even more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having just read the highway I will be adding this to my list. Sounds like this is a more developed story and as I enjoyed the first one I can't wait for this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.