Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Lily and the Octopus; Steven Rowley

Lily and the Octopus; Steven Rowley
Simon & Schuster - 2016

This is one of those novels that is incredibly difficult to review without giving away spoilers but, I'll try my best.

Ted Flask and his dachshund, Lily have been there for each other through thick and thin. Ted's turned to Lily for comfort throughout his periods of loneliness and relationship struggles.  But, now Ted needs to be there for Lily's crisis as well.

The author uses "the octopus" as the  "elephant in the room" that these best buddies are dealing with. Throughout their ordeal, you can feel Ted's concern, panic and compassion for Lily.   Ted and Lily (and the Octopus) is a love story about man and dog, full of emotion and bitter sweet reflection. It's a story that all animal lovers can enjoy (even a cat lover like me),  It's a heartfelt story that made me laugh and cry.

Lily talks in ALL CAPS and exclamation points.  I loved the way the author developed his characters and their crisis. I would have rated this story 5 stars but, there was one part of the story, a voyage that Ted and Lily experience that didn't work well for me.  Despite that minor complaint, I highly recommend this sweet story of unconditional love between man and dog.

4/5 stars
(eGalley)

5 comments:

  1. The e-copy of this was 1.99 so you just reminded me to grab it before it went off sale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read this but I hope the dog does not die!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got the ARC waiting for me when I get home. Glad to know you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.