Sunday, July 19, 2015

Sunday Blatherings - Fitbit and more


Hello Readers,  I'm here to tell you "retirement" is exhausting! 

I made it through week one expecting this to be the "Week of Diane", but my husband had other ideas.  He's been retired for almost 3 years and routinely walks about 7-8 miles a day (5) days a week...yes, I know you hate him already --me too LOL.

While I was working, I walked 1.5 miles Mon-Friday most weeks and called that exercise. I've had a Fitbit One for (1) year now and, although I came close, never hit 10,000 steps in one day.  This week I walked my retired butt off because of him, Granted he toned it down a bit but my Fitbit has now seen over 13,500 steps in one day, and I didn't kill me.  I did comment constantly how bored I was, so on subsequent days I listened to an audio book and we even walked some trails at a state park one day.

Do any of you have Fitbits?  Well, as I mentioned I've had the Fitbit One --shown here (clip it on my bra) and wear it every day. You really have to move to get credit for each step. I love how it syncs to my iPhone and I can track calories etc. I do work for each step I get.

I regret the day decided to buy my husband the Fitbit Charge though ( Father's Day gift last month) - the model he has is what I call the "cheater's model"---shown here ---

He hit 20,000 steps his first day wearing it on his dominant wrist, I then changed the setting to account for the dominant wrist and, he walked basically the same distance and still got about 18,000 steps, when his tracking prior to Fitbit, walking the same route each day was about 14,000 steps. ---Opinion --- he's getting step credit for sitting on his butt clicking the remote, writing checks, flipping pages ------Call me a sore loser, but I'm annoyed, and have threatened to cut the Fitbit off his wrist as he sleeps.

Trust me -- there is a difference in how these 2 Fitbits track movement.  This week when we walked the same distance together and then did little else (stayed in afterward) he had nearly 2,000 more steps than me at the end of the day.

Seriously, I'm ticked off, but happy to be moving my butt a whole lot more. I also joined the YMCA (he already had a membership) for those hot and humid or snow and ice days.  

When I wasn't in constant motion, we went out for lunch several times --seniors do that now and then, saw the little ones one day, and ordered a new car now that I don't have to worry about the ridiculous parking situation at work.  I also hit the library twice, caught up on some book reviews, read (of course) and did all that other house related things that working people cram in on weekends. All is good - I can handle retirement I decided!

New Books this Week



Have a Great Week Everyone!

25 comments:

  1. Diane, you are making me laugh! You jumped into retirement with 'both feet'. I can feel your pain over your husband's step total and yours. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I'm still thinking about ways to top him, since I charge his Fitbit on my computer, maybe I'll have to forget to to do that next time (it will buy me a day at least).

      Delete
  2. I use an ipod that measures steps, and I never come close to 10,000 either! But occasionally I walk with other women and we all use ipods and even though we walk together, our totals never match!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he said he takes bigger steps because he is much taller, so I said then I take more steps....not helping his case here,,LOL

      Delete
  3. Haha! This post made me laugh! I'd be annoyed too about the difference in measurement if I were you. My mother in law recently started using a Fitbit and it's really helping her be more mindful of being active.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it does Sarah, and even though I don't have a terrific day every day, I do find myself going up and down stairs multiple times with just a couple items at a time.

      Delete
  4. Regardless, that is one big bunch of steps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't imagine walking a mile most days so you have my upmost respect. I think it sounds like a good way to start your retirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks Emma, I never enjoyed exercise even gym in grade and high school. I do wish it was something I learned to enjoy early on like books:)

      Delete
  6. Wow, what a week! Your post reminded me of my mother who says she's busier now that she's retired. LOL I'm impressed with all that you did this past week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monica -- I don't expect every week will be that busy, but maybe the next few at least.

      Delete
  7. I had a fitbit one and it stopped holding a charge after three months - so frustrating! Now I track my walks with my iPhone. It's with me for audiobooks anyway. I always listen when I walk.

    Glad your retirement is off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad JoAnn - I've had mine 13 months and so far so good. Hope you returned it for a new one.

      Delete
  8. Glad you enjoyed your first week of retirement. I am sure I was not that busy my first week. LOL I've wondered about the reliability of a FitBit. I don't have an iPhone, and not a lot of extra income....so I don't have one. Maybe it would motivate me??!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect a $10.00 pedometer would motivate as well Judy, but I've always been a gadget girl:)

      Delete
  9. You certainly can handle retirement. I'm impressed with all that walking you've been doing. I have something similar but it is on my iPhone, and on holiday the most I did in one day was 12,000 steps. Since I got back it's slowed down some but I'm building up :) We've been officially retired two years now and can honestly say we've never been busier. Someone told me that years before and I smiled and nodded, and was shocked to find out that he was right, lol. Enjoy your retirement Diane, it's a fun ride.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was religious about using the Fitbit and then lost it :( I keep thinking I need to buy another but I don't know which one. I don't think they are accurate. I wore the wrist one around my ankle and had no problem hitting 10,000, but on my wrist it was a struggle. I saw switch fitbits and see how your husband likes it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a few friends that swear by their Fitbit. I also have a few that hated it. I haven't made up my mind whether or not to get one or not ;) I'm afraid it would rule me. I'm easily swayed and led.

    Happy retirement! It sure doesn't sound as if you've slowed down one bit, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I sent my FitBit back because it was adding every move I made, even picking up the phone or pushing my glasses up. I want to get the Moove. It's supposed to be really accurate and you can clip it to your leg or arm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can see you are enjoying retirement, I love it too. Fitbit differences or not. I just keep track of the amount of time I exercise, not the steps. It is all good. I like the cartoon of "I am woman."

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this post Diane. Great humor-writing. I like how you are enjoying the start of retired life. Take advantage of all the perks that are out there in the middle of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You'll have to make him trade you fitbits for a day so he can see the difference! That would drive me nuts too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I use my pedometer to count steps/miles. I don't know if it's accurate, but at least I know I am moving.

    You may just find yourself more busy now and wonder when you found the time to go to work. At least that's been my experience!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know what you mean about the difference in the fitbits - I have the basic zip and love it. I spent the day with a friend who has the charge and despite my doing a 3 mile run in the AM while she had coffee, she surpassed me in the steps later in the day after baking the kitchen all day (lots of arm movements - not a lot of stepping!) Either way, I like the little prompt I get to move by checking in on my steps. Hope you are enjoying retirement!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.