Wednesday, May 13, 2015

I Saw a Man; Owen Sheers

I Saw a Man; Owen Sheers
Nan Talese - 2015

This book started off like a thriller when Michael, enters his neighbors unlocked house to retrieve a screwdriver he had loaned his neighbors Josh and Samantha Nelson.  He creeps around their home opening drawers and looking in likely places, but when he doesn't find it, he doesn't leave either. [ creepy neighbor]

In fairness to Michael, however, he is still mourning the loss of his 30-something wife Caroline, a journalist who was on assignment in Pakistan and killed in a drone strike. Having left their home in Wales and relocating to London, his new neighbors, the Nelsons, are helping him to get on with his life.

While Michael navigates his way around his neighbor's house --it's clear there may be another side to neighbors, Josh and Sam.

The story moves both back and forth in time, which I found distracting at times as it took away from the immediate suspense as I read.  I do understand why the author did what he did, but for me it detracted from the beautiful writing and conflicted characters.  Although this book wasn't perfect for me, I do plan to try something else by this author.

3.5 stars
(eBook)

3 comments:

  1. This sounds a little odd!! A creepy neighbor for sure but now I am wondering about the couple and their own secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That time jumping confuses me too much but it sounds like a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds rather interesting, a creepy neighbor and a couple with secrets.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.