Monday, December 8, 2014

Revival; Stephen King


 Revival; Stephen King
Scribner - 2014

I couldn't wait to read Revival, Stephen King's latest novel, especially after having enjoyed the last (3) King novels I tried: 11/22/63, Doctor Sleep and Mr. Mercedes.

In this story there are pretty much (2) characters, Jamie Morton, who we meet as a six year old child and Reverend Charles Jacobs, a preacher who comes to Jamie's local Methodist church when he was a young boy in Maine.

Unlike parents today, in the 1960's many parents thought nothing of sending a young child off to spend some time with an adult neighbor, friend or parish priest. Reverend Jacobs first arrives in town alone, his wife and son arrive later, and Jamie begins spending time with Rev. Jacobs who is somewhat of a mad scientist.  He shows him some secret experiments with electricity and later demonstrates their power to heal.

When tragedy strikes the reverend and his family, he gives a sermon which has him quickly removed from his congregation and the community.  Many are shocked by what was said by the preacher and yet devastated by his departure.

Fast forward to 1992, Jamie is a heroin addict and rock band member. His band members have pretty much abandoned him. At a state fair, Jamie crosses paths with the former Reverend Jacobs who now goes by a different name and new vocation. Can a fallen preacher, mad scientist, be just what Jamie needs to set him on the right track? At what price?

The novel covers a period of about 50 years, and while the first half of the book held my interest, the second half was slow going. It is, however, the last section that packs a wallop and stuck with me, it is here that the writing reminded me of the Stephen King style of writing I like best. Not a perfect story, but it did make me happy that I stuck with this novel. The audio version was read by David Morse who did a decent job.

3.5/5 stars
(Audio book and Kindle eBook)

8 comments:

  1. We usually like his writing so we would give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was planning on listening to the audio of this one too. Sorry it wasn't a better one for you. I'll still likely buy the audible

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't decide if I should get the hardcover now, or wait for the softcover. I think I will wait for the softcover. It does sound good, though not his typical creepy horror like Dr Sleep was. Thanks for the review, Diane, yours is one of the first I have come across.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to read more King, but maybe not this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen mixed reviews on this. I'm glad you don't regret listening to it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, the first half was pretty good and held my attention but that last half... was a bit of a chore to get through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been thinking about trying this since somehow I've never read any books by Stephen King. It sounds like this is worth reading but may not be the one to start with. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like this is the kind of book that makes it hard for me to ever give up on a book - you just never know what that last bit will hold.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.