Tuesday, December 9, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - House Broken; Sonja Yoerg


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon.

House Broken; Sonja Yoerg
NAL/ Penguin - January - 2015

Chapter 1 - Geneva

"Dr. Geneva Novak stared at the X-ray clipped to the light box on the wall.  She tilted her head sideways and squinted at the contents of the dog's stomach.  The iPod was obvious--it faced her--but the object protruding from the large blurry mass stumped her.  Rectangular, with two bright white bars.  Only metal lit up like that.

She clenched her jaw.  That would be the third time she would have to operate on Zeke to remove things he'd swallowed, things his owner shouldn't have left lying around.  After the second incident, she had talked to the owner at length about how to protect his dog.  She recommended he walk Zeke daily, so the dog wouldn't turn to mischief out of boredom, and suggested he either keep his apartment orderly or confine the dog when he left the house.  Nearly all dogs come to love their crates, she reassured him.  Geneva had written down the instructions and told him he could call her anytime for help.  But when Zeke's owner brought him this morning, he confessed he hadn't followed through on anything.  And the outcome was illuminated in black and white on the wall."
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What do you think, would you keep reading? Feel free to join in and post the Intro from one of your reads by linking below.

44 comments:

  1. Love the sound of this one...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this one around and wondered about it! Now I'm wondering what she is going to say to the owner next! I know I'd have trouble restraining myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not really the best place for a mobile phone and poor dog with that clunking around inside him! I'd keep reading...

    http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people are not meant to pet owners (OR) parents to take it a step further LOL

      Delete
  4. I'd definitely keep reading. I enjoy books that feature pets (dogs, cats, potbelly pigs). They add interest to the story, and the way characters interact with them can be quite revealing. I hope you're enjoying this book.
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fun book. Some dogs will eat anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The intro didn't grab me. I'd have to read a bit more. Hope it's a good one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a cute dog! I hope you'll really like it, Diane. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a cute dog! I hope you'll really like it, Diane. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The intro doesn't grab me but, since I like the cover, I'd give it a little longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need something light right about now, we had a cat at the vet for 2 days last week so it seemed like a perfect choice...LOL

      Delete
  10. Poor dog :D sounds nice, thanks for adding to my TBR pile. Hope you enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, poor thing. Just makes me dread even more the puppy that will be coming to my house in January. My daughter Grace is graduating from college and moving home, and she has her heart set on a rescue puppy. It will be crate trained though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope the puppy gets trained quick. I don't have the patience or interest in walking a dog, but I do love all animals. Cats are so easy for us.

      Delete
  12. This intro makes me mad at Zeke's owner. I would keep reading to know what the outcome will be for poor Zeke.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would keep reading. Pet ownership does have responsibility. I am wondering if the story is really about Zeke and his owner or more about Geneva and her life?

    ReplyDelete
  14. well who could resist that face? I'd read it based on the cover alone. The opening paragraph was good, but I do feel sorry for Zeke.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've read a synopsis of this book, and it supposedly does not really feature animals that much (despite the opening and the cover). The main character is a vet, but it's more about her life and what she is struggling with (I think). I would pick up a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll post a review once I read it. Hope some is about animals.

      Delete
  16. I can't imagine how frustrated she must feel! Though I can definitely believe a bored dog (especially if it's a lab like the dog on the cover) would eat an iPod or just about everything else!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Replies
    1. You and I could write a book Brian about Cats at the vet...LOL

      Delete
  18. I can never resist an animal on the cover so would probably read on.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Poor Zeke! I'd read more, to make sure the dog is okay, and to see where the story goes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Some dogs never learn... lol... Hope he is ok in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would read on just to find out why the owner isn't following her advice.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes, I'd keep reading, just to see if the owner is really so worthless.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I had to check out the book description online because I thought it might be nonfiction, lol. It is actually fiction about a female vet and her relationship problems. I would read this; thanks for pointing in out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.