Tuesday, December 30, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - The Awakening of Miss Prim; Natalia Sanmartin Fenollera


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon.


The Awakening of Miss Prim; Natalia Sanmartin Fenollera
Atria - 2014

The Arrival

"Everyone in San Ireneo de Arnois remarked on Miss Prim's arrival,  On the afternoon they saw her walking through the village she was just another job applicant on her way to an interview, but the inhabitants knew the place well enough to realize that a vacancy there was a rare and precious thing.  Many remembered what had happened a few years earlier when they were looking for a new primary school teacher: eight applicants had shown up, but only three had been given the opportunity to set out their talents.  This did not reveal a lack of interest in education--educational standards in San Ireneo de Arnois were excellent--but rather the inhabitants' conviction that greater choice did not increase the likelihood of getting it right.  The proprietor of the stationer's, a woman quite capable of devoting an entire afternoon to decorating a single sheet of paper, described the idea of spending longer than a morning selecting a teacher as extravagant. Everyone agreed.  In that community, it was the families themselves, each according to their background, ambition and means, who were in charge of their children's intellectual development.  School was considered supplementary--undesirable but necessary--though certainly many households relied on it.  Many, but by no means all. So why devote so much time to it?"

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What do you think, would you keep reading? Feel free to join in and post the Intro from one of your reads by linking below.

19 comments:

  1. I'm not sure...but I am intrigued by the name Miss Prim, and curious about the interviewing process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't actually started this one yet, but it has an old fashion feel.

      Delete
  2. The citizens of this town seem to have a strange attitude towards education! I'd keep reading to find out why and see how Miss Prim fits into the plot. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd need a little bit more to be sure but Miss Prim is a great name and I'd like to learn more about her.

    http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have to read more to make sure book was for me -- sounds like a quirky town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, quirky, makes me want to know more about the residents.

      Delete
  5. This could be good, but I'm not sure either. I would need to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started this book in July, but it didn't grab me. I put the book aside to try later. I'm glad you're reading it, and I'll look forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I would have to read a wee bit more as well, but there might be something good in that town.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder if their viewpoints will change over the course of the book. It sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The intro just makes me curious to learn more about Miss P and the townies.

      Delete
  9. I'm not sure, I think I need to read some more to decide if I could like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with the consensus... not so sure but would like to read your thoughts on it afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Time will tell Freda 😺 will be sure to post my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.