Tuesday, December 23, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - The Affairs of Others; Amy Grace Loyd


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon.

The Affairs of Other; Amy Grace Loyd
Picador - 2013
HOPE

"The body of a woman aging.  It's a landscape that, even as it vanishes, asks a lot of the eyes.  Or it should.  No two landscapes the same.  They never were the same, no matter their age, but then how time brings details to the body.

Of course every woman's body ages. What's distorting is how friendly it all starts out, with words like smooth and tight and firm, high and pink and wet--words that are given to women's bodies and that they wear around, as comfortably as cotton.  And why not?  These are gifts they did little to earn.  Life does this so rarely--offer unearned or unasked-for rewards.  But inevitably the words fall away, one by one:  There goes tight, there goes smooth, god even wet.  And the words that replace them, that are provisioned, are not nearly so welcome or easy to carry.  Some women carry these new ways of addressing their bodies with pride. They'll explain that the knots in their flesh tell a good story.  Others celebrate the change of vernacular, the end of a certain kind of surveillance.  Or they continue to pursue the first set of words--high, tight, smooth.  It's not wrong or it's not for me to say.  Who am I to say? I am a young or youngish woman.  I am in my late middle thirties, though I could be twenty-five or fifty.  I believe I have no age anymore.  I am not unattractive but neither am I beautiful.  I married a man I first met in college and again later, a few years after graduation.  My husband died a difficult death.  I went with him, or a lot of me did.  I cannot apologize for this nor do I wish to challenge that I am changed."


 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What do you think, would you keep reading? Feel free to join in and post the Intro from one of your reads by linking below.

 

30 comments:

  1. This one sounds like a book I'd enjoy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the writing on that intro for sure. Hope the rest is as good.

      Have a nice Christmas Laurel.

      Delete
  2. After reading the intro, I can't help wondering how old the author is . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered that as well Catherine. She was an editor for Playboy magazine..LOL and looks like shes in her mid 40s

      Delete
  3. I remember when this came out from Picador. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know - this might make me think too much about my own body's landscape, about which I would rather NOT think! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like that opening... can't wait to hear what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. really an interesting passage. I hope you're enjoying the reading, Diane. Anyway, merry christmas for you and your family :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deasy, and hope you have a wonderful Christmas as well.

      Delete
  7. I wouldn't continue on since I didn't get through the second paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I was immediately taken in. I am in the minority so far here in the comment section. Must be that my own personal landscape has so drastically changed. So good, so definitely not so good. I would read on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can relate so I would keep reading. The cover grabs my attention as well. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is very fitting with what I've been feeling lately. LOL Or rather thinking about. I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like it will be a powerful read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a good read. That intro makes me want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very thought provoking and beautifully worded. I would read it. Would love to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hopefully, this one stay as interesting as the intro!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds interesting. Cover interesting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have to echo Jill's comment—this made me WAY too body-conscious!

    Merry Christmas Eve! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not sure if this would validate my current thoughts about my aging body or just make me unhappy. It does sound intriguing, though! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.