Tuesday, December 16, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros ~ The Mountain Story; Lori Lansens

Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon.

The Mountain Story; Lori Lansens
Gallery Books - 2015

BEFORE

"My boyhood home on Old Dewey Road stood among similar clapboard bungalows in the older, grimier section of Mercury, upwind of Michigan's largest rendering plant, with the train tracks near enough that I could distinguish passenger from freight by the way the house shook.  A year and a half after my mother's accident -- that's what we called it--my father briefly got sober and painted the entire house, inside and out, a dark, flat blue.  Drowning Man Blue.  Frankie said it was a tribute to Glory.  She loved the color blue

Frankie said I was too young, only four year's old when she passed away, to have an honest recollection of my mother, but I do.  Glory Elizabeth Truly.  In my favorite memory she wears a silky white dress with bat wing sleeves--one I've never seen in photographs.  She's standing in front of a dressing room mirror, smiling at our reflection, and behind us is another mirror where I discover our infinity. "Always", I say.  My beautiful mother laughs and tells me I'm clever before covering my face with soft kisses and spinning me in her embrace. I glimpse us with each turn.  Glory looks like an angel in that white dress"
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What do you think, would you keep reading? Feel free to join in and post the Intro from one of your reads by linking below.

40 comments:

  1. Oh, this one does have a poignant feel to it...I do want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it does Laurel, I think I may love this one -- just started it.

      Delete
  2. This one sounds really interesting. The cover is great too. I am adding to my list for 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Diane,

    'The Mountain Story' has a premise which may not ordinarily have had me reaching for my purse in the bookshop, however those opening lines are so descriptive and intriguing that I would have had to have this book for my shelf. Was Glory's death an accident, murder or suicide and did it have something to do with the railway line which runs so close to the house?

    So many questions! I hope that you enjoy it.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have those answers yet, but the first 2 chapters have pulled me in.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely description to intro us to Glory.. enjoy!
    I'm introducing HOPE RISING on its Release Day - a FuN opportunity for a fav author Of Love & War WW1 novel.
    Thanks for hosting - glad to be back ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the intro as well and can't wait to read more -- 2 chapters in so far.

      Delete
  5. I'd want to read the blurb before committing, but the writing is good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds interesting. The first paragraph is great and I'm glad you included the second one as well. I'm not too crazy with the combination of Glory and angel in the last sentence though. I'd to see how it plays out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat --- the glory and the angel made me wonder why that combo as well.

      Delete
  7. This sounds like it could be a good emotional read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This author has pleased me in the past so hoping this is a hit as well.

      Delete
  8. This one definitely piqued my curiosity... especially the ambiguous description of her mother's death as an "accident." I definitely want to know what actually happened.

    Thanks for hosting this meme!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would keep reading. This looks interesting, and I want to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the imagery in the excerpt...I definitely want to read on to find out what happens "After" . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the intro painted a picture that made me want more.

      Delete
  11. I'm not sure I'd keep reading on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the descriptiveness! I'd want to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely scene! I like the way the author raises doubt about the "accident" in the first paragraph. That makes me want to keep reading to find out what happened to his mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I am curious about --did they just say accident?

      Delete
  14. I like the intro. How sad to lose one's mother so young!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This seems like a good one. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like it! A strong voice but one that is imaginative and empathetic. Will have to check it out further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another think that surprised me was that it is a young male voice -- I first thought female.

      Delete
  17. What a beautiful memory! Sounds like a great read.
    I am coming to post soon, just getting it written now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be looking for your link Freda...thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  18. I like the little boys point of view in the intro. Very sweet. I'd like to know more about this book. I really love you holiday banner at the top of your blog. Very festive. Happy Holidays to you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margot...I thought it was time to get rid of the summer banner..LOL

      Happy holidays to you

      Delete
  19. Great choice. It has my attention and I want to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the opening! In fact, I'm grabbing a copy from Edelweiss now...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Merry Christmas! I really like this part of The Mountain Story. I would like to read it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.