Tuesday, July 22, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph ~ Tuesday Intros - The Story Hour; Thrity Umrigar



Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon. Care to join us? This week's pick seems like a good summer read to me.

The Story Hour; Thrity Umrigar
August - 2014 - Harper
I BEGINS

" Dear Shilpa --I writes.  Belief me when I say not single day pass in six years that I not thought of you.  How are you, my dearest?

Then I takes the paper, roll it like a ball of dough and throws it across the room. It land on top of the coffee table--why he call it a coffee table when in this house we only drink chai?--and I goes to pick it up to place in the dustbin. Shilpa never reading my note.  He will never posting to her. Some things even stupids like me know."

What do you think? Would you read more? For me the poor English was hard to read, but knowing this author's talent, I am pretty sure this will be a winner.

Care to join us this week? Feel free to post the Intro from one of your reads and link below. 

29 comments:

  1. Yes I would and I did not know there was another new book out so thanks for the news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting narrator! I do want to keep reading....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also find the grammar unsettling. Not sure if I would continue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree that the language might take some getting used to but I often find that once you get into the swing of something written differently, it's okay. Keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, but this is a story that will pull me in I think.

      Delete
  5. I would read anything Umrigar wrote . . . so yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. Her novels are all so amazing, I doubt this one will disappoint.

      Delete
  6. I'm with Catherine - the grammar is bugging me a bit even though I'm sure it's part of the narrator's character. But, it's hard for me to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds interesting. I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love this author, but agree the grammar would be hard to get used to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. another language comment... interesting scene, but it might grow old quickly ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd read on a little longer just to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will draw me in quickly - not too many characters.

      Delete
  11. that's an interesting beginning. It sounds almost like he's a prisoner of some type. I'd read on just to learn more about what is happening. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't really gotten into it yet but she is a younf Indian woman.

      Delete
  12. Umrigar Thrity is one of my favorite authors. I would love to read this one! I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I suppose in a few pages the language would become less difficult. I'll bet the language adds to the characterization.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another one that would make me finish the page :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Strange phrasing but I assume that's the character. It draws me in even though it's strange.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd stay with it for a while to see where it goes.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good plan, it will be one that I'm anxious to spend time with.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.