Thursday, February 6, 2014

Snow Day - Movies - Captain Phillips and Enough Said

Wednesday, we were blessed cursed lucky to have lots of snow and NO WORK. It's a rarity to have a snow day when you work at a college where the majority of the students live on campus. But, we did get 10" of snow which  began overnight and continued most of the day. Fortunately, it wasn't a surprise, and new DVDs just came in on Tuesday, so I was well prepared for the possibility of a housebound Wednesday with my husband.


First we watched Enough Said, with James Gandolfini (RIP), and Julia Louis Dreyfus. A very different role for the former mafia boss Tony Sprono, but boy was he sweet, lovable and played a wonderful part as Albert, divorced father to a teenage daughter about to head off to college, and dreading the empty nest. I fell in love with Albert, a big cuddly, gentle-giant.  Eva, played by Dreyfus, worked as a masseuse, a divorced mom, to a daughter also about to head off for college. The chemistry between the two is great, the dialog is fantastic, and how the two connect, the people they have in common made this a funny and most touching story. Even my husband loved it, and it isn't the type of story he would normally enjoy.

8/10 stars

We then made some popcorn, and watched Captain Phillips with Tom Hanks immediately after.  Based on a true story about the 2009 hijacking of a US cargo ship by Somali pirates. Lot's of action, nail-biting scenes and an emotionally charged ending. An eye-opener of a story.  Tom Hanks (Captain Phillips) was amazing, as was Barkhad Abdi the captain of the run down pirate boat.  Although this is not a movie, I normally enjoy, I liked this one more than anticipated.  We both agreed, it does pay to move outside of ones comfort zone now and then.

7.5/5 stars

Have you seen these? What did you think?

13 comments:

  1. Definitely want to see both of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard about Enough Said until this week when I saw it reviewed on another blog. I'll definitely see it - my kind of movie. I think my husband will like it as well.
    Nice to have a snow day once in a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've got Captain Phillips ready to watch tonight and I can't wait to see Enough Said. I've always loved JG and the previews look good. Glad to know it's worth watching.

    We only got about 4-5" of snow, but the cold temps (subzero) are beginning to get to me. I'm so ready for summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend and I wanted to see Enough Said but it came and went before we had a chance. We did see Captain Phillips and I had to leave the theater early because the camera work nauseated me. I thought the part I saw was very well acted. By the way, there is controversy about the accuracy of the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enough Said sounds great. I can't remember hearing about that one so will have to add it to my netflix queue!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Enough Said, too; so much so that I had to watch it twice. I haven't yet seen Captain Phillips...probably because I don't like hijacking stories...but I do love Tom Hanks. May have to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes we all need a Captain Phillips in our lives. Have a nice and cozy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep meaning to watch Captain Phillips sometime but never get to it. I will have to make time for it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw Enough Said last October at the theater and loved it (almost made my year-end favorite list) Such great roles and perfect casting. I haven't really wanted to see Captain Phillips but I;m sure it's only a matter of time because Jason love Tom Hanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm looking forward to Enough Said. I was surprised how much I liked Captain Phillips. I had admitted low expectations and don't normally like Tom Hanks, but I really liked that film.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My library has DVDs now and I'm somewhere in the queue for both of these. Bad weather and free new release movie make for a long wait time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed Enough Said, so real and boy did he look like a giant in a few scenes (ie: the back yard with his feet in the dirt/grass).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really liked Enough Said. You can check my review here: http://addictionmovie.blogspot.com/2014/02/enough-said-2013-review.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.