Thursday, February 6, 2014

Coming Soon to a Book Store Near You - The Bear; Claire Cameron

While trying to prioritize my lengthy list of new books coming out in 2014, I decided to try a new feature on my blog. I'm hoping this idea will hopefully serve a few purposes: keep me focused on books I'd like to read, give a little PR to the authors (especially new authors) who worked so hard getting published, and to let other readers know about books that will be hitting the book stores soon (within the next 90 days).
 
Here's my "Coming Soon to a Book Store Near You" pick for today -



The Bear, Claire Cameron
Little, Brown and Co - February 11, 2014

Overview


A powerful suspense story narrated by a young girl who must fend for herself and her little brother after a brutal bear attack 
While camping with her family on a remote island, five-year-old Anna awakes in the night to the sound of her mother screaming. A rogue black bear, three hundred pounds of fury, is attacking the family's campsite -- and pouncing on her parents as prey.

At her dying mother's faint urging, Anna manages to get her brother into the family's canoe and paddle away. But when the canoe runs aground on the edge of the woods, the sister and brother must battle hunger, the elements, and a wilderness alive with danger. Lost and completely alone, they find that their only hope resides in Anna's heartbreaking love for her family, and her struggle to be brave when nothing in her world seems safe anymore.

This is a story with a small narrator and a big heart. Cameron gracefully plumbs Anna's young perspective on family, responsibility, and hope, charting both a tragically premature loss of innocence and a startling evolution as Anna reasons through the impossible situations that confront her.

Lean and confident, and told in the innocent and honest voice of a five-year-old, THE BEAR is a transporting tale of loss -- but also a poignant and surprisingly funny adventure about love and the raw instincts that enable us to survive.
Does this sound like a book you might add to your wish list? 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

9 comments:

  1. It sounds like a very moving story! I'd add The Bear to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Bear sounds like a griping story. I will look forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good to me too! I like the fact that it is little kids trying to survive. I'm very curious about how it progresses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This could be good. I look forward to seeing what people think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea behind this story - I'm wanting to know what happens - now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds very intriguing! I will have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very interested in this book!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.